Welcome to the Australian Data Archive
The Australian Data Archive (ADA) provides a national service for the collection and preservation of digital research data and to make these data available for secondary analysis by academic researchers and other users.
New access arrangements for ADA data
As of October 2015, ADA data is now available free of charge to all users. Please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any queries regarding this change.
The ADA is comprised of seven sub-archives - Social Science, HIstorical, Indigenous, Longitudinal, Qualitative, Crime & Justice and International.
The archive is provided by a consortium of leading national Australian universities, managed by the ADA central office based in the Australian Centre for Applied Social Research Methods (AusCen) at the Australian National University (ANU). ADA also has partner nodes around Australia, at the University of Melbourne, University of Queensland, University of Technology Sydney and University of Western Australia.
All visitors to the ADA Data Catalogue can browse and search the catalogue, view study and variable documentation (including frequencies) and download related material (questionnaires, codebooks, etc). Registered users can also analyse and visualise most data online and users who have completed the relevant undertaking form(s) can download entire studies or subsets of variables in a range of formats. For more information, explore the Data Access menu above.
ADA receives data from depositors on a regular basis, which we process, review and publish for research use across Australia and around the world. Current deposits with the archive which are expected to be released soon are detailed on our "Recent Deposits" page. Current deposits in our processing pipeline include:
- The Australian Child Wellbeing Project (Flinders University, University of NSW and Australian Centre for Educational Research)
- The Australian Workplace Relations Survey 2013-14 (Fair Work Commission)
- Australian Institute of Criminology collection - 15 studies (see details on AIC collection page)
- Australian Longitudinal Study of Men's Health ("Ten to Men") Wave One (University of Melbourne and Commonwealth Department of Health)
- ANU Polls 2013-2015 (ANU Centre for Social Research and Methods, Australian National University)
- Our Lives: Social Futures and Life Pathways of Young People in Queensland, Waves 2-5 (Zlatko Skrbis, Monash University)
- The Social Cohesion Survey 2007-2010 (Monash University and the Scanlon Foundation)
- Staff in Australian Schools 2013 (Australian Council for Educational Research)
If you have an interest in some of our recent deposits that are in our processing pipeline, please contact the archive at email@example.com and we can discuss them further with you.
Start Using the Australian Data Archive
|Browse the ADA catalogue|
|View an introduction to ADA|
Note for former ASSDA users:
Access to the ASSDA website has now been closed, and all queries and requests for data are now made through this site. You can continue to use your user registration from the ASSDA website here, by logging in with your details at the Login button at the top right of screen. You should continue to have access to any restricted access data you requested previously through the ASSDA site, but will need to request new access to any general access datasets through the "Request Access to General Datasets" button in your account, due to changes in our access policy. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any queries.